Questions You Need to Ask Before You Book Wedding Hair + Makeup
Sooo... you're planning a wedding and want to book a rockstar team of vendors, right!? It's important to not only meet with your potential vendors in person or over the phone, but it's also important to ask questions. First and foremost, book a hair and makeup artist you feel comfortable with! You'll need to eventually communicate your hair + makeup vision to this person so it's important they understand the look you're going for on your big day. Seriously -- go right ahead and stalk them on Facebook and Instagram to get a feel for their style!
Here are some questions you might want to consider asking your potential hair + makeup artist before you book with them:
- How long have you been in business?
- How many weddings have you done? Do you typically work with brides?
- Will YOU be my hair/makeup artist? Or will this be someone else? Some agencies have an entire hair + makeup squad. You want to at least be sure the hair + makeup artist that is doing your trial will be the actual person doing your hair + makeup on your big day!
- What happens if you become ill or encounter a family emergency on my wedding day? Trust us, it's always a good idea to ask about a Plan B...
- How soon should I get a hair + makeup trial before the wedding? Is there an additional fee for this or is it included in your services?
- What do you charge for your services? Is there a deposit? Minimum?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Can you duplicate a hair and/or makeup look from a photo? Because not all hair + makeup artists are comfortable recreating a hair style or makeup from a photo or Pinterest for that matter!
- What kinds of brands/products do you use? Good to know -- the last thing you want is for them to being using cheap makeup products. You also want to be sure they provide hair styling tools such as a blow dryer, hair straighter, curling iron, etc.
- Do you offer airbrush makeup?
- Will I have to travel to you or do you work on-site?
- Do you charge a travel fee?
- How many other weddings/events will you work on the day of my wedding? Sometimes, your hair + makeup artist will have other obligations, which is fine! Just make sure they're comfortable with the number of girls getting ready in your wedding and is in fact something they can handle in time without being rushed!
- How long should I expect each girl to take (hair + makeup/getting ready)?
- What should I bring to the trial? Think: veil, headpiece, floral crown, etc.
- Do you have a portfolio of your work? Be sure to check their website, Facebook and/or Instagram!